Sunday, April 17, 2005

Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yan Mah

I finished the book yesterday. The story was very touching and I got my eyes bloodshot because of crying.

The book is about the painful childhood of Yen Jun-ling. Her birth brought about the death of her mother. Her family considered her bad luck and thus her brothers and sisters all discriminated against her. Her father seldom talked to her and made her feel unwanted in the family. Luckily, she still had her Ye Ye (grandpa), Nai Nai (grandma) and Aunt Baba (her father's sister) on her side.

Things started to get worse after Nai Nai's death. Her stepmother had taken the role as the one in-charge of the whole family. No one dared to antagonize her. However, little Jun-ling once had confronted her in the presence of the whole family, she loathed her since then. You can then imagine what kind of life little Jun-ling led in the family.

Since everyone detested her, Jun-ling started to hate herself. Ye Ye and Aunt Baba kept reminding little Jun-ling of her own potentials and how valuable she was. I believe, without the encouragement from Ye Ye and Aunt Baba, little Jun-ling would not be able to survive in such an abject environment and keep telling herself that she would finally succeed one day.

One thing in the book really upsets me a lot. Her stepmother decided to send Jun-ling to a boarding school. On the plane to Tianjin, her father approached her sheepishly and asked for her name! How come her own father couldn't even remember his own daughter's name?

Jun-ling had every reason in the world to hate her parents but she didn't. She still obeyed everything her father had arranged for her and hoped that one day she could get back the love and acceptance from her father. From Jun-ling, I saw the virtue of perseverance and I admire her eagerness to study.

This book finished when Jun-ling was fourteen and set off for England to continue her studies. I will buy her previous bestseller - Falling leaves, her first autobiography. I want to know more about what happened to Jun-ling.

6 Comments:

Blogger 無塵工作室 said...

I've read 'falling leaves', it's very good. I recommend it to you. :D

4/17/2005 8:42 pm  
Blogger Louisa Kwok said...

Thank you! I have just bought it. My target is to finish it by the end of this week.

4/17/2005 9:41 pm  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

lately, a few books by chinese women have been very successful. Why don't you take a year off work and write one? My best friend is a chinese woman and I work with Chinese women. I believe they are the strongest group of people in the world!

4/18/2005 10:04 pm  
Blogger Louisa Kwok said...

Don't be silly...will the principal let me take a year off and write a book? Besides, one year is definitely not enough for me to write a book...

4/18/2005 11:39 pm  
Anonymous georgene said...

I have read lots of her books.....it was really good,i hope a can write someday,those books inspired me a lot...

7/13/2006 4:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this story was very touching to me

11/02/2006 10:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home